Isle of Wight Nave Andromeda — “No realistic prospect of conviction”

SEVEN men will face no further action following the Nave Andromeda maritime security incident off the Isle of Wight, it has been announced. A statement issued on behalf of Hampshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service said there was no realistic prospect of conviction. It stated: “We can confirm that seven men, including two men who had previously been charged and who had appeared in court, will now face no further action as part of the Hampshire Constabulary led investigation into the maritime security incident that took place on board the Nave Andromeda off the coast of the Isle of Wight on Sunday, October 25.

“The two men, Matthew John Okorie, 25, and Sunday Sylvester, 22, who were remanded and next due to appear at Southampton Crown Court on January 29, 2021, will now face no further action for an offence relating to conduct endangering ships under S.58 Merchant Shipping Act 1995. “This decision was taken by the Crown Prosecution Service after additional evidence came to light as part of the investigation.” Senior district crown prosecutor, Sophie Stevens, said: “The CPS has a duty to keep all cases under continuous review and after additional maritime expert evidence came to light, we concluded there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction and discontinued the case.”

Five other men, who were arrested on suspicion of seizing or exercising control of a ship by use of threats or force, remained on police bail until January 25, 2021. They will also now face no further action in relation to the Hampshire Constabulary led investigation. They will remain detained under immigration powers in accordance with published processes.

Read more: Nave Andromed operators thank crew and authorities after security incident Operators of the oil tanker Nave Andromeda praised the actions of emergency and military personnel involved after the incident. Hampshire police had requested military assistance in dealing with the situation on board the 228-metre vessel.

It was reported the captain had issued a Mayday call after seven stowaways, known to have boarded the ship as it left Lagos in Nigeria, had apparently become aggressive. Navios Tanker Management said at the time: “We are pleased to report that the seven stowaways who illegally boarded the Liberian Flag tanker in Lagos, Nigeria, have been detained by the UK Authorities after a multi-agency response, including police, military and emergency forces. “The UK Authorities had been advised by the Master that stowaways had been found on board and that he was concerned for the safety of the crew due to the increasingly hostile behaviour of the stowaways.

“Happily, no crew members were injured and all are safe and well. “Navios Tanker Management wish to thank all the UK Authorities involved in this operation for their timely and professional response. “Navios would also like to pay tribute to the Master of the Nave Andromeda for his exemplary response and calmness and to all the crew for their fortitude in a difficult situation.”

Bembridge RNLI also played its part in the incident

Read more: Who were the crack commandos who dealt with the incident?

Read more: Seven men bailed

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *