US detects failed North Korea missile launch

WASHINGTON (Kyodo) — North Korea has conducted an unsuccessful launch of what appears to be a new intermediate-range ballistic missile, the U.S. military said Saturday. The North fired a suspected Musudan missile from its northwestern region Friday night EDT, which followed more than 20 ballistic missile launches this year in violation of U.N. resolutions banning the use of ballistic missile technology by the country. The United States strongly condemned the series of missile tests, saying it will raise fresh concerns at the United Nations to press ahead with international efforts to hold North Korea “accountable for these actions.”

The U.S. Strategic Command said its systems detected the failed missile launch conducted near the northwestern city of Kusong in North Korea. “We strongly condemn this and North Korea’s other recent missile tests,” said U.S.

Navy Commander Gary Ross, a Pentagon spokesman. U.S. commitment to the defense of its allies, including South Korea and Japan “is ironclad,” Ross said. “We remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies from any attack or provocation.” A Musudan missile has a potential range of between 2,500 and 4,000 kilometers, which would cover not only any target in Japan and South Korea, but could also even reach U.S. military bases on the Pacific island of Guam.

The Strategic Command said the latest launch did not pose any threat to North America. North Korea went ahead with its fifth nuclear test on Sept.

9. The sk© Security SAVER SALE Council is discussing new measures in response to the test, which is seen as Pyongyang’s most powerful detonation so far of a nuclear device.

North Korea’s neighboring nations have since been vigilant about another possible provocative act by the country around the founding of the Worker’s Party of Korea last Monday.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *